What is going on avination?! Welcome back to the Pilot to Pilot podcast episode 54 featuring Michael Mainiero. Michael is absolutely killing this whole piloting thing, he is 22 years old with 3200 hours, current in over a dozen aircraft, and was just hired by a big 121 carrier.
Some of the things Michael and I talk about are..
- How Michael got into aviation.
- How Michael put a presentation together for his Parents on why he should get flight simulator.
- How Michael had to talk his mom into letting him learn how to fly.
- Michael talks about joining young eagles.
- How Michael built his connections.
- Michael explains what Young Eagles is.
- How Michael was running his local Young Eagles website at 12 years old.
- We talk about how you can get involved with Young Eagles.
- How Michael is current in over a dozen airplanes at age 22.
- How Michael owns a partnership in a 152.
- How Michael was able to talk his parents into buying an airplane at age 14.
- Michael talks about what his training was like.
- How flying is very straight forward for him
- How Michael hated school and hated studying while training.
- How Michael struggled with the oral on his Instrument check ride.
- How Michaels CFI's assumed Michael had everything memorized
- I give a tip on a cheat sheet I would take into my check rides with me.
- Michael talks about the connections he has made and how it has helped him in his career.
- We talk about how you have to do everything you can to get your ratings done asap.
- How Michaels teachers had a love/hate relationship with him.
- How Michael balances getting his degree and flying.
- Michael talks about how aviation is double sided with the younger generation of pilots.
- We talk about influencers on YouTube who are doing it wrong.
- How you have to be careful about what you post on the internet, especially aviation videos.
- Michael talks about how he started flying with the Patriot jet team.
- Why Michael isn’t at a regional airline waiting for the flow to the majors.
- How Michael chose check airman in the King Air and a Citation X airport PIC type over the regionals.
Thank you for being a Patron of Pilot to Pilot. I hope you enjoy these early access uploads. Let me know what you think of the podcast below.